Pure in Heart (Matthew 5:8)

Scripture
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." 
Matthew 5:8 

Take Aways
  • What does it mean to be "pure in heart?" The words "pure in" can be translated "clean," I believe that this has to do with the motives one has in approaching religion, and not behavior. We know that according to Scripture,  None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:10-12) So can we draw from this verse the conclusion that none are pure, at least on their own ability?
  •  The religious leaders of the day were all about what was in it for them. They did not care about anyone else, and their hearts were not open to the gospel. They worshipped tradition over truth. They honored chastity over purity. They loved their positions of power and authority.
  • I believe that the leaders had a different opinion of themselves than Jesus had of them. In their minds, they could not be giving more to God. Jesus seems to indicate that they could not be giving less! I believe that Jesus will address this in Matthew 7, and speaks about their blindness in several instances throughout the gospels. (Matthew 15:14, 23:16-26, Luke 6:39, John 9:40-41)
  • One cannot have a clean heart on their own effort, it must be cleansed for them.  Jesus  is not teaching the idea of striving for perfection or striving for purity on your own. That has been tried, and does not work!  Jesus is teaching the idea of living by faith. Our purity is a result of our faith in Jesus. (Romans 4:13-16)

APPLICATION
  • I don't please God through my actions alone, I please Him through faith. To have faith is not merely a stated belief, it is the essence of who I am and how I live. To have faith in Jesus is to make Him the driving force of my life. It means that I trust Him even when I don't agree or understand.
  • I don't have a pure heart, no one does. But I can have a heart that is purified. A child seeks to please its parents, and a parent accepts the actions of that child not because of the worth of the actions, but because of the heart that drives the actions. God does not want or need anything from us, He is the creator of the Universe, what could we possibly give Him? Just my heart. My faith. My love. 
  • This is where peace comes from, knowing that Jesus loves me just as I am, and not because of what I do. Knowing that it is my faith and trust in Him that purifies me, not my actions. (See 2 Samuel 24:24)
  • This cannot be seen as an excuse to do as I please. Living like that is not living by faith in Him, and is far from having  a purified heart!

PRAYER
I give thanks for  salvation, for a Savior who  loves me and gave His all for me. I pray for a heart that loves Jesus and a life that responds accordingly. I give thanks for the grace and mercy of God.

Bonus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gasping for Breath (Matthew 5:3)

Joy in the Mourning - (Matthew 5:4)

You See Poverty, We See Grace (Matthew 5:5)