Still Searching (Matthew 5:6)

Scripture

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."  
Matthew 5:6

Take Aways
  • I see a pattern in the beginning of this sermon: Breathing, mourning, humility, hunger and thirst...basic needs and emotions. Driving forces of life that occupy you until satisfied or resolved.
  • Now imagine wanting righteousness so much that you pursue nothing else until it is satisfied, that you pursue it like a driving force of life. Keep in mind that Jesus was not trying to teach people how to rightly live, He was trying to teach them how to rightly relate to God. We should pursue righteousness not to earn God's favor, but because of who He is. 
  • There are two paths  when pursuing righteousness. One is to pursue righteousness through my own effort. The other is to pursue the righteousness found in Jesus. 
  • The righteousness we pursue in Jesus is not mere behavior change. It is the pursuit of the one whose sacrifice provided righteousness, the one who redeemed us from ourselves and Hell. It is the only righteousness through which we can approach God.

APPLICATION
  • I need to pursue righteousness, not right living, so I must pursue Jesus. 
  • Just as with food and drink, that pursuit is also ongoing. I don't just eat a big meal or drink a tall drink and think that will satisfy me forever. I need to be nourished continuously.
  • Right living then becomes the byproduct of my pursuit, rather than what I am pursuing. This is what the Jewish leaders missed in all of their efforts to be holy. This is what many still miss today! This is why Jesus will later say that our righteousness must surpass theirs. This is why God desires mercy over sacrifice. (Matthew 9:1312:7Hosea 6:6)
PRAYER
I pray that my heart will hunger and thirst for Jesus. I pray that He alone will satisfy me needs. I pray that my pursuit will be ongoing, that I will not gorge myself on Jesus one day and then starve the next. I pray to understand that the righteousness that He imparts to me is a precious gift, and that I will be ever grateful.

Bonus
One of my favorites.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gasping for Breath (Matthew 5:3)

Joy in the Mourning - (Matthew 5:4)

You See Poverty, We See Grace (Matthew 5:5)